Back-to-school season is in full effect, and even if you’re not actually headed back to the classroom, you can certainly try out the ever so trendy Geek Chic look. Thanks to favorites like J.Crew president and creative director Jenna Lyons and photographer Terry Richardson, Geek chic has become and iconic look everyone is dying to try this Fall season. Channeling your inner nerd has never been so fabulous, and the new Madewell Style Guide is proof that the trend is in.
Here are five tips to getting nerd fabulous:
1. Cardigans are a must. Especially if they’re old and passed down from a male figure in your family – boyfriend/brother/grandpa. Big and slouchy is the way to wear it, but pair it with sleek jeans and high heels.
2. Oxford shirts go with just about everything – it can be white, colorful or a fun pattern. Wear it buttoned all the way up to your neck and add a statement necklace, a cardigan and cute oversized eyeglasses.
3. Pleated trousers are totally okay to wear now. Be careful you don’t get billowy pleats though, you don’t add volume around your waist. Get a cropped pair that will show off your ankles and your fabulous shoes.
4. Glasses are a must – oversized – the bigger, the better: Look to Ray-Ban’s Wayfarer or the RB5226 cat-eye style.
5. Accent your outfit with accessories like suspenders, bow-ties, flat Oxford laceups and knee-high socks.