Happy International Women’s Day!! Did you check out Google’s doodle today? If you did, then you would know that it’s International Women’s Day! It used to be called International Working Women’s Day and is marked every March 8th by celebrating and sending e-cards and gifts. Women all over the world are celebrating the 2012 Women’s Day theme, Empower Women – End Hunger and Poverty. Today is a day to celebrate, appreciate, empower and love all women for their accomplishments economically, politically and socially.
1. Take the Day Off – Many countries observe International Women’s Day as a public holiday and all women get the day off!
2. Give Flowers to Women – Flowers have become a symbol for this day, weather it’s a fresh bouquet or a e-card, send flowers to the women that inspire you.
3. Donate money to women’s causes – There are so many to choose from, such as micro-lending non-profits much like Kiva, who are campaigning to remind women to help women around the world by investing in their futures. Kiva.org/women
4. Protest – International Women’s Day was born of activism — the holiday was founded in 1910, when a German woman named Clara Zetkin proposed that every country devote a day to the needs and political demands of women. Women around the world use March 8th as an opportunity to fight for political freedom, equal pay and working rights, among other causes.
5. Wear your brightest shade of red lipstick – A marketing agency is encouraging women across America to wear red lipstick in honor of International Women’s Day for the “Rock the Lips” campaign. Women who want to celebrate femininity can submit photos of their pouts to the Rock the Lips Tumblr.
Read more ways you can celebrate International Women’s Day today at WashingtonPost.com