Self-tanners have come a long way and are currently at their best – even awesome! They are easier to apply with formulas like foams and creams- making them ever better looking than before. So in this day and age of self-tanning you don’t run into mistakes to often however it does happen. So here are some tips how to get a natural looking tan and some of the best products to use.
Make sure you have enough time. I suggest tanning yourself on a day or evening when you don’t have much to do. Also pick a tanner that’s no more than a shade darker than your natural color. When the “fake” tan on your skin is too dark, it looks dirty – not golden.
1. First, take a shower and use a cotton wash cloth to remove all the dead skin cells. Really focus on the lower half of your legs, knees, ankles, tops of feet, and elbows – this is where most self-tanning uh-ohs happen. You can also use a skin exfoliation lotion or soap at this time too. Note: Do not shave your legs if your skin is at all sensitive.
2. After the shower allow your skin time to really dry and the bathroom time to cool off. You don’t want steam when your applying the self-tanner. Apply your regular non-tanning lotion onto your feet and ankles, knees, elbows, hands, wrists, and any area with fine lines, such as your neck and face.
3. Apply self-tanner. Don’t squirt the self-tanner right on the skin, the lotion will go right to the dry spots on your skin and it will be bad. Instead, pump the self-tanner onto a round velour puff (like you’d use for face powder), and then swirls it over the skin in circular motions. Run the puff over the elbows and knees lightly and quickly so they don’t get too dark. Using the puff also helps from getting to much rubbed into your hands, which can cause them to get really orange. Do not apply the tanner directly to your toes, heels or sides of your feet.
Tip 1: If you do make a mistake, like making your elbows or your knees too orange and dark, don’t panic. Use Nair, Veet or some other cream based hair removal product. It removes tanning color like it removes hair, only faster. Apply it for 30 seconds and then wipe away.
Tip 2: Speed dry your tanner for better results. Use your blow dryer to quickly dry still-sticky skin and cut down on streaks in the process. It allows the tanner to set into the skin quicker and more evenly- so you know if you need a second coat on some areas.
4. Take care of your new tan. Try to avoid contact with water and anything that will make you sweat for the first three hours. Also wait eight hours before bathing/showering again. However if you want to re-apply self-tanner again you will need to exfoliate this time. If you don’t apply a second coat of the self-tanner, apply lotion to your entire body after you bathe to keep your skin from getting dry and flaking off your tan.
1. St. Tropez Everyday Airbrush – An ultra-fine aerosol spray delivers exceptionally smooth, even color for a gradual golden glow. With no guide color, it’s quick and simple to use and your tan will develop in just a few hours. For a deeper tan, simply apply daily to intensify the shade. Also features 360° spray technology to get to those hard to reach places.
2. Sunlove Sunless Tanning Spray – Features a special blend of natural ingredients and unique sprayer has a continuous-flow style application that delicately touches the skin that covers a lot of surface area quickly and without making a mess, an immediate golden-bronze shade is released upon contact. A superb, authentic suntan develops after three hours. Apply in layers for a desired darkness.
3. St. Tropez Self-tan Bronzing Mousse – This super-lightweight, easy-to-apply, velvety mousse delivers the ultra-even all-over tan you’ve always wanted. Infused with conditioning aloe vera and long-lasting color, you’ll have a perfectly natural looking, streak-free tan that dries in an instant.
4. Jergens Natural Glow Products – Gives you beautiful, natural-looking color that’s just right for you. Each of the premium formulas is clinically proven to gradually deliver the optimum amount of natural-looking color to enrich the appearance of your skin.
5. Estée Lauder Bronze Goddess Golden Perfection Tinted Self-Tanner Gelée for Body – Tinted gelée gives you an instant touch of bronze color, then a heavenly, sun-kissed tan that looks more natural than ever. Divine Seduction for Your Skin – Instantly see a transfer-resistant, soft shimmer bronze tint. Self-tanner creates even, golden color, starting in under an hour. Super-luxurious formula goes on silky-smooth.